photo homenew1.jpg photo aboutnew1.jpg photo recipesnew1.jpg

May 7, 2014

Sweet Home...

I took a break last week to focus on a few upcoming projects...you'll hear more about that later!

In the meantime, I'm dying to tell y'all where I got to go over the weekend. The kids and I took a road trip to Montgomery, Alabama for something called Southern Makers. I was expecting a farmer's market type thing with people selling corn and painted picture frames. Boy, was I wrong! Union Station was packed with artisans, chefs, designers, letter-pressers, and more. Mind=Blown. Alabama has as much talent as the Gulf has salt! 



I won't tell you about every person/company I talked to, but there are a few I have to highlight so I can sleep tonight. Look them up, order their products, and if you're passing through the state at any point, take a pit stop and meet these fine, talented folks. Our family of five plans to do the same throughout the summer...another undertaking I'm milling through right now and will fill you in on along the way. 


1. front porch special- track it down and try a glass. I'm serious. NOW. go!!! best (non-traditional sweet) tea I've tasted. I've tasted a lot. Look for these guys in next month's Southern Living.

2. pickled shrimp- this spot was not around when I was in Montgomery, but one little bite did me in. I'm dying to go back and try the rest!

3. kale that made me want more kale- I tried what looked like crunchy seaweed but tasted sweet and spicy and wonderful. I don't know how they did it, but head to the beach and ask for some Kale at Fisher's!

4. Shirey made-from-scratch ice cream- You'll find us enjoying these guys' scoops at Billy Reid Shindig, this August. Their flavors depend on what's being grown locally at the time.

5. flavored goat cheese- The pimento (goat) cheese is addictive...

more highlights to come for the non-foodies out there! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment