photo homenew1.jpg photo aboutnew1.jpg photo recipesnew1.jpg

June 2, 2014

Smokin' on the River

It's a wrap! The first River City Smoke-off was a success! (Whew!) I'm so thankful for the many folks who willingly shared their time, talent, and advice to make this fun event happen. A few weeks ago, I challenged Jamie Keating and John McLemore to a 'smoke-off' to benefit the Trinity Center for Women. They agreed, but I'm not a professional event planner, so I wasn't sure how things would turn out. The vision was there, but whether or not this vision would be a hit or a miss was yet to be determined. Apparently, the vision was there a long time ago! My mom sent me this drawing from some "top-secret idea box" I had in the third grade. She found it in her attic and brought it to me this weekend. Nuts...check it...I'm not convinced that I drew this in the 3rd grade...looks more like the talents of a 5th grader, but who knows.


The weatherman predicted 60% chance of rain and scattered thunderstorms, but fortunately my housewife rain dance did the trick...it was hot and sunny and just right! I'm also thankful for the Lava Lamps who kept the groove going...and the people coming! I was incredibly impressed by the drummer's ability to walk on platform shoes with acrylic fish bowl heels...fake goldfish included. That's talent.

Photo Credit: Sara Montgomery

I rev'd up my Masterbuilt electric smoker around 10:00 a.m. Friday and the competition showed up in style around noon. John pulled up in his red truck with a coordinating red-shirted entourage. They all came walking over in slow-mo, trash talking the whole way over. At least that's how I remember it... Then Jamie rolled up, all Rico Suave in his black car, and matching black outfit, black sunglasses, and sous chefs...not intimidating at all. Captain Hook (little man let me borrow him for good luck) and I were ready for a showdown.






Photo Credit: Melissa Keating (and her camera/phone)
We had a lot of fun with this event...So much fun that we plan to do it again next year! Only next time, it will be bigger and better! If you have ideas of what you'd like to see in future smoke-off's, please contact Uptown Columbus or leave a comment at the end of this post! We'd love to hear from you!! 



John McLemore with two of our judges, Mimi Woodson (City Council) and Mike Gaymon (Chamber of Commerce)

My "team"


setting up
Jamie Keating, John McLemore, Me, Chuck Leonard, Mimi Woodson, Mike Gaymon 
 Judge's tasting before the crowd showed up. Jamie won the Judges' Award and John took home people's choice by raising the most money.  The Trinity Center for Women was the real winner!! 


Thank you so much to the following folks who made this possible: 

our parents for entertaining my children most of the day! ;) 





1 comment:

  1. Great job! We were at a party at the Eagle-Phenix lofts and walked over the concert later in the evening. I agree, the Lava Lamps were jamming! I'll certainly have to check out the Smoke Off next year. ~Beth

    ReplyDelete