photo homenew1.jpg photo aboutnew1.jpg photo recipesnew1.jpg

June 3, 2014

breakfast+lunch=_____

Have you ever had a serious hankerin' for something? (In some parts of the country, you may get a hankering...down here, we get the hankerin'.) I have a perma-hankerin' for brunch...specifically GRITS. If you live outside the South, DON'T HANG UP!

There's nothing to fear about the most southern word in the food dictionary. When done correctly (butter, salt, cheese, butter, some other stuff...BUTTER), you'll enjoy grits! In fact, you might grow fond of this cheap fix for those we-have-no-food-in-the-pantry nights.


A few weeks ago, I ran across this pretty picture on pinterest and tracked down the girl behind the whisk. Her blog is the perfect mix of beautiful images and normal life (her fam is super cute).

I contacted Lauren and asked her to answer a few questions for you (well for me, really...because I was curious...but I'm totally going to let you in on the scoop). The next time you head to 'Hotlanta,' check out Lauren's favorite spots! In the meantime, do yourself a favor and try her pimento-cheese-grits.

Q. Your favorite Atlanta brunch spot...GO!

A. West Egg in Midtown is one that my husband and I run to any chance we get. They have fluffy, mile-high biscuits and a fun twist on grits that have roasted garlic in them! The coffee is also amazing. 

Q. Best spot to buy fresh herbs, veggies, local ingredients (grits, maybe?) this summer (in ATL) 

A. My favorite place for local produce has become the Green Market that Piedmont Park hosts every Saturday. It can be crowded but I think it's worth it for the selection and the experience. My favorite grits are from Logan Turnpike Mill, an awesome local company. I can usually find a bag of their Old-Fashioned Speckled White Grits at DeKalb Farmers Market or nearby shops like Alon's Bakery.

Q. Any secrets to good food photography…when you’re out and only have an iPhone?

A. It's ALL about the light! Especially with camera phones, it's going to be really hard to make a nice photo without a lot of light. If I'm at a restaurant I usually ask to sit by a window or outside so that I can get pretty pictures! 

Q. What’s your fave thing to serve with pimento cheese grits?! 

A. I love the combination of cheesy grits with a perfectly poached egg. A biscuit on the side certainly doesn't hurt!

Thanks for sharing, Lauren! Happy brunching, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment