photo homenew1.jpg photo aboutnew1.jpg photo recipesnew1.jpg

April 27, 2014

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE LEGS

I was by far the worst one on the golf range that day...for sure the palest golfer and no question the least educated golfer. However, by the end of my lesson, I could knock that ball right off its legs, as well as any of the men out there. (At least that's how I saw it).

My father-in-law was quick to point out that I hooked the ball in this video...but whatever!!! :)

I knew we'd get along well. We're both brunettes and we both hale from S.A. (South Africa and South Alabama). What more do you need?! Still, I was very nervous about this lesson! Everyone thinks highly of this guy, Mark Immelman. They talk about how he's from South Africa (with an accent to prove it) and that he has a good-looking family (it's true...he has three beautiful leading ladies) and how his brother, Trevor, won the green jacket a few years back.

My golfing adventure began in the club house at Bull Creek golf course, where a man tossed me a key then answered his phone. That was it. I wasn't sure what the key was for...Did I look like I needed to use the restroom? Was there some secret door to unlock? He caught wind I was confused and, holding the phone away from his mouth, directed me to "take the first cart and follow the path."

First I couldn't get the cart to start. Then I went down the wrong path...this is not how I saw this going. Eventually I made it to where I was supposed to be. I waved as if to say Hi, it's me...I made it. 

From across the lawn, Mark yelled, "Where are your clubs?" 

That moment you realize you left the (bleep) golf clubs in the back of your truck...

"Yeah! Be right back!" This was turning into a sitcom.



It crossed my mind, back at the truck, that this was my chance to escape to Starbucks and drown my humiliation in a very large iced latte.

I got my stuff together and made it back (ten of my thirty minutes were now up) and we got started. Mark asked me why I was there. I told him I had a blog called project-housewife and thought this would make for a good story (plus Mac would be thrilled if I knew the difference between a 9 iron and a non-iron). He announced to the rest of the students standing around that project-housewife was on the green. thanks. for that.

I was a little embarrassed, but I didn't actually whack him over the head like it looks in these pictures. Here we are doing wrist and forearm-strengthening exercises. Ladies, if you're going to use your man's clubs like I did (maybe you shouldn't, but if you do), holding the club out with a straight arm and making a rainbow with the club will help a lot. Forewarning...it ain't easy and you'll look awkward.)



Mark asked So why golf? That was a good question, but there was also a simple answer...If a girl wants a solid relationship with a guy, she should know at least one thing about this sport. He laughed and asked if I knew much about 'this sport.' Sure I do! There's a driver and every now and then you yell FOUR!! (No wait...my kids yell f-o-u-r when fighting over their ages. Golfers yell f-o-r-e. Got it.

We got down to business. I was expecting "shift your weight, keep your head down, follow through, etc..." Instead, he gave me one simple piece of advice: It's all about the legs. 

Instead of focusing on hitting the ball, he told me to try and knock two little invisible legs out from under the ball. The idea was that if I could clip the legs, the ball would follow. I thought that was pretty simple and a little less fancy than maybe I would've expected; But I did as he said and shockingly, after a few whiffs, I knocked that sucker off its legs, becoming the latest and greatest female golfer (in my immediate family). 

The rest of the lesson was spent practicing this concept. It worked every time. Amazing.

What in the world, Mark? You just stand there all relaxed and tell people to hit invisible legs...and they do...and then they make 'bank' winning tournaments all over the world. That's genius. I'm so glad we did this.  


In all seriousness, I honestly enjoyed the short amount of time I got to spend with Mark. It was not nearly as terrifying as I expected. I came into this thinking it was going to be a disaster; But by the time I left, I got why everyone's so enamored with taking lessons from him. He can turn a right-brained, skinny-legged, putt-putt golfer into someone who can fake it till she makes it (at least for 9-holes on date night).

If you're a blue-jean, bare-foot golfer like me (or if you, like, actually know stuff about golf), you can be sure that Mark will teach you how to up your game. His lessons are tough to snag, but if you plan ahead, I promise this would be a gift that your significant other (or you!) would not soon forget.


"Mark Immelman is a golfer. He can teach you to be one too." -http://markimmelman.com

No comments:

Post a Comment