photo homenew1.jpg photo aboutnew1.jpg photo recipesnew1.jpg

June 24, 2014

The Big Apple (family style)

A friend recently asked me to share a list of my favorite New York City spots (as a mom who goes there pretty often, but still just another out-of-state visitor). She wants to take her daughter for the first time and she is looking for a happy medium between The Whitney and FAO Schwartz. Here's my out of the ordinary NYC tourist guide. I'd love to know your go-to's also!

1. If you're not interested in standing in line at the Shake Shack, but need a good (casual) burger, try Schnippers. There are three locations and if you're worn out and need some energy, your whole gang will appreciate the atmosphere and the food.

8th Avenue and 41st Street
212-921-2400

2. New York is expensive! When I want to buy my kiddos something cute to wear, but can't afford to shop at my most favorite stores, I go here. They know me by name (if 'the girl from Georgia' is considered a name). You'll find everything from babyGAP to PRADA. I've scored so many pieces from Bonpoint, Rickshaw, Papo, Eberjay, etc...love this place. While you're shopping, send your hubby and kids out to play in the fountain in Washington Square Park...unless it's freezing, of course!

39 1/2 Washington Sq. S.NY, NY 10012212.228.9333 (West 4th between 6th Ave and Macdougal)




3. For a true local feel, head to the Upper West side and enjoy a laid back but delicious dinner at The Mermaid Inn. It's a tiny little gem with wonderful seafood. Plus it's fun to get away from the hustle and bustle and pretend you're a regular.

568 Amsterdam Avenue
(between 87th 88th)
212-799-7400

4. This is a precious boutique where I could spend hours. A friend of mine introduced me to this store when I had my daughter, and now I have to stop by every time I'm in the city. Dominique owns Les Petits Chapelais and her story is so charming. Do yourself a favor and pay her a visit! You might even see a celebrity mama while you're there.

142 Sullivan St, New York, NY 10012
(212) 625-1023


photo credit: Dominique, Les Petits Chapelais 

5. Is rain in the forecast for your visit? Instead of dragging the kids to a fancy museum, take the whole family here for hands-on, educational fun. This is different, but when else will your kid be able to take part in a symphony at Lincoln Center?! So cool.

Concerts are at Merkin Concert Hall, 129 W. 67th Street
(212) 875-5656.


6. If you want to shop for toys, but have anxiety over the mass chaos (and unending wonder, I should add) of FAO Schwartz, try Boomerang

TriBeCa - 119 West Broadway

New York, NY 10013
212-226-7650

7. How about a (free) story break at Bank Street Books? If you're lucky, you could even be read to by the one and only,  Julie Andrews! 

Corner of West 112th Street and Broadway
212-678-1654

8. The Highline always has something fun going on...click here to check their calendar

9. The MoMa is always on the top of my list. There's always inspiration around the corner for young and old! Obviously this is number nine, but this is in no particular order...

11 West Fifty-third Street, between Fifth and Sixth avenues.

10. Last but not least, Eloise at the Plaza is fun for all little girls...very cute!

212.546.5460
eloise@theplazany.com
Charge it please, thank you very much. 

Photo Credit: http://www.theplazany.com


There are many more! Maybe we'll revisit this soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment