photo homenew1.jpg photo aboutnew1.jpg photo recipesnew1.jpg

January 19, 2014

EPIC Appetizers

Way down yonder on the Chattahoochee...there's an award-winning restaurant, aptly named EPIC.  It's owner and chef is Jamie Keating, who doesn't have many minutes to spare in a normal day (he and his wife, Melissa, have FOUR kids and also own a well-known catering business).  

So naturally, I was stoked when Jamie agreed to teach me how to make one of his favorite appetizers. Hold your hors d'oeuvres or horse-de-overs, as my grandfather would say; We're about dive into some slap yo' mama Muffuletta.

 Depending on where you live and who you follow, moo-foo-LET-ta/muff-uh-LOT-uh/muff-ah-LET-ah, can be prepared several ways. EmerilLidia, and of course, Southern Living all have their interpretations; But it was Jamie who taught me how to spin this traditional Southern dish into a swanky appetizer my friends will scarf down, using things I already have in my pantry. Plus I can make it start to finish in one episode of Doc McStuffins. 


            
                    


                   
Maybe it was the gorgeous industrial appliances that I secretly wish I had in my own kitchen or the beautiful fresh ingredients, or perhaps the glow of the spot lights coming from center-stage (okay maybe they were just lights over a work station). Regardless, I got a little confident and challenged the Chef to a throw-down, Bobby Flay style. I was feeling pretty good about the challenge until I had soap all over my hands and couldn't figure out how to turn on their sink. Please tell me I'm not the only one who didn't know about the foot pedals...


Click here to see who won (it's a real shocker...not!)



As you can tell, we had a lot of fun, but I really did learn so much. You've probably heard of Beats by Dre, but they ain't got nothin' on beets by J. Yes, I did just go there. (visit the recipe tab for more on that). Thanks again, Jamie Keating, for spending so much time with me. I look forward to learning even more from you (and blogging about it, of course).

stuffing my face with deep fried beet chips

If you want to try these and many more amazing dishes, make a reservation at Epic Restaurant and tell them I sent you! You won't have to look far to find Jamie. He'll more than likely introduce himself to you before you have a chance to ask for him.



1 comment:

  1. Hello there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found
    that it's really informative. I'm going to watch out for brussels.
    I will be grateful if you continue this in future. Numerius people will be benefited from your writing.

    Cheers!

    Also visit my weblog - Ricky Salvador

    ReplyDelete